I still remember my first project (8.5 yrs ago in retail bank in Wrocław) - blind fate decided that I had to join MIS (Management Information System) Team instead of Web Channel Team. For a moment I was very unhappy - I had already some nice experience in J2EE and participating in the creation of new web channels for banking system was something that was really turning me on. Unfortunately, instead of that, I was about to create a data warehouse and reporting system on the top of that. Both of them powered by Oracle (mainly PL/SQL) - not a technology of my dreams. I wasn’t supposed to do the coding - just gathering requirements, performing analysis, creating design, supervising programmers and lead tests.
- prove useful in team’s future work when the scope is finalized (and provide our analyst some useful knowledge upfront)
- help our analyst to show that he’s adding some value (so he can be evaluated for that)
- He didn’t come after 2-3 days but after a week.
- He didn’t stick to the written points - he made the tests I’ve asked him to, but not keeping some important assumptions I gave him (like the technology used…)
- When I’ve suggested he can make another attempt, sticking to the plan - he said that: it would take him 2 weeks to set up an IDE (!), so maybe I could find someone else to do it (!!), preferrably from the client side (!!!)